Saturday, 16 February 2008

Spring has sprung

So February is here, and we are halfway through it already. Hard to believe it seems to be going so fast. Looking back at last year's journal I see we are planting everything a lot earlier, and I seem to have a bit of a better plan together.
How long that will last I don't know! But at least with some crops in the ground I feel more confident about this year.

We decided on more potatoes this year -"Desiree" - a nice red skinned one which makes glorious chips, and "Sante" a nice fluffy, white spud which has been very reliable and tasty the last two years.

I'm putting them in where the souds and onions were last year mainly because it's the easiest patch to dig. I'll be getting more into rotations next year.

It's lovely rich soil, improved with compost and should be perfect for them.


We are also starting to expand up into the rest of the field- we only use about a quarter at the moment. I have been madly purchasing apples, peaches, plums and cherries and can now boast of a 20 tree orchard!



it feels great to have the extra fencing in, opens up the field and really makes it seem like the project is progressing...

Updates on the tunnel coming soon......

1 comment: